|Hats Off To Spring
In celebration of spring, 2013, the Sullivan County Historical Society has on display in the downstairs foyer glass case a collection of ladies' hats. Each of these ladies' head-dressea represents dif [ ... ]
|Woodstock Exhibit Now Open|
The words of Max Yasgur, on whose farm the Woodstock Festival took place during three steamy August days during the summer of 1969, delighted the hundreds of thousands of young people who had gath [ ... ]
|Awards - History Preserver|
SULLIVAN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY HISTORY PRESERVER AWARD 2013
JOHN B. (Jack) NIFLOT (2/10/35 - 6/22/13)
Town of Fremont Board Member and Historian, whose dedication and advocacy for understanding and preserving the history and heritage of the Upper Delaware Valley is best exemplified by his co-founding of the Basket Historical Society in 1980, establishing its museum in Long Eddy and publishing/editing its newsletter, the ECHO, continuously since then.
SULLIVAN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY HISTORY MAKER AWARD 2013
Gladys Olmstead, RN (10/19/1924 - 8/10/1997)
a pioneer in public health nursing in Sullivan County began her career as the county’s first Public Health Nurse in 1951, in an “office” with a dirt floor in the basement of the courthouse and retired 34 years later as the Director of the Sullivan County Public Health Nursing Service. She saw great drama in public health nursing, “cutting down the rate of premature infant births, helping someone with polio move a muscle.” “How could you not be excited?”
The words of Max Yasgur, on whose farm the Woodstock Festival took place during three steamy August days during the summer of 1969, delighted the hundreds of thousands of young people who had gathered on his meadows to hear the legendary rock and folk music artists of the era. "I'm a farmer. I don't know how to speak to twenty people at one time, let alone a crowd like this..." reveals a different aspect to the festival, and its later reincarnation into the Bethel Woods Center for the Arts, that is now explored by the new exhibit being assembled at the Sullivan County Museum. The land on which the stage was erected was cleared by early Scottish immigrants nearly a century and a half earlier. This exhibit will follow this, and subsequent, families whose own stories preceeded that of Yasgur.
Hardly had the soil settled on the fresh dug graves holding the victims from Company B who were killed in the mule-train wreck when another deadly episode at the camp of the 143rd New York Regiment added to the melancholic mood already weighing heavily upon the whole regiment. Adding to the defensive position along the Northern Virginia countryside outside of Washington, the Third Brigade of Abercrombie’s Division moved across the Potomac River during February of 1863 to strengthen the capitol’s perimeter fortifications with trenches and rifle pits. The regiments that made up this division, besides the Sullivan County boys of the 143rd, were fellow New York regiments including the 127th, who were recruited from Brooklyn; the 142nd , recruited from St Lawrence County in upstate New York; and the 144th, the regiment recruited from neighboring Delaware County. They were positioned outside of Alexandria near Fort Ward at Cloud’s Mills.
Patriotic fever spread throughout the farms and forests of Sullivan County during the late summer of 1862 as young men laid down their plows and axes in answer to their nation’s call to arms for restoring the Union. They were sons of Bethel township farmers and neighbors, such as John Hogancamp, the twenty-four year old son of the Minard Hogancamp family from Hurd Settlement and twenty-year-old John Jackson, son of Calvin Jackson from Briscoe. Some boys had left their own family for work on other farms such as twenty-year-old William Bloomingburgh who helped the James Bedford family in the Town of Thompson. Eighteen-year-old Edward Ray, the son of Irish immigrants whose farm was located along the southern slopes of Walnut Mountain outside of Liberty, was working on the John Lacey farm near Hurd Settlement in Bethel Township. The Thompson township farm of Jonathon Demerest’s family near Bridgeville was one of the earliest clearings along the Neversink River with the forests being cleared as early as 1797.